avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject Merlin Security
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 18:09:42 GMT
Hello.

Another "I didn't pay attention enough the first time" Merlin question. :)

Okay, so now the kernel.xml file has a bunch of security parameters in it.
Tracing through the code it looks like this sets the System SecurityManager
and a series of permissions.  A couple of questions:

- It looks like this is off by default.  Is this correct?  Even if there are
  entries in the kernel.xml?

- How does this interact with a security policy given via the command line?
  (ie -Djava.security.policy=$MERLIN_HOME/bin/security.policy)

- Why?  Why not just use a normal policy file?  What does this security give
  us?  Sorry, I'm not a java security expert (my bad).

Thanks.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM