avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <lsim...@jicarilla.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] transfer of fortress and ecm
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 07:44:38 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:
<snip/>
> Just do it.
>
> Potential benefits to users interested in migrating can be enabled by
> expanding merlin feature set (e.g. finder facility, etc.).  Potential
> risk of on-going noise IMO overrides the risk to users of being stranded
> - simply because we can deliver equivalent functionality (its already
> real close).  But one proviso - no formal endorsement - go ahead and do
> it - no need for permission

are you saying that there is no need for permission to use the package
names and product names referred to in the message that started this
thread? Is that a position of the Avalon PMC? Greg Stein's message in
this thread seems to indicate something entirely different. This is
confusing :-D

> - but in the meantime Avalon maintains a
> release here independently of your initiative.  If your initiative is
> good - then fine and dandy - if not, Avalon provides the fall back
> solution.

that sounds like a workable plan. I would add that in the longer term --
once this initiative has proven thrustworthy -- avalon could opt to stop
maintainance of a fortress release and focus completely on the merlin
platform.

<snip/>

--
cheers,