avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] New Lookup mechanism
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2004 14:35:23 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Saturday 10 April 2004 00:24, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
> > Secondly - concerning dynamic lookup I think we should be following
> > something closer to the approach suggested by Bruno Dumon - ie.:
> >
> >     /**
> >      * @avalon.dependency type="Locator" key="locator"
> >      */
> >      public void service( ServiceManager manager )
> >      {
> >          // get the ref widget
> >          Locator locator = (Locator) manager.lookup( "locator" );
> >          Widget redWidget = locator.locate( Widget.class, m_map );
> >      }
>
> Carsten, I agree with the above, but I am not sure what
> concern you are really trying to address. I could use some
> more elaboration.

The approach above is imho not better than the current Selector approach;
it's slightly different so.
I think you and Stephen are mixing the use of the lookup mechanism
in Merlin and the interface/functionality provided by the framework.
The framework api does not/should not know anything about meta info etc.

But it seems noone else apart from me is interested in enhancing
the framework api, so we can skip this for now.

Carsten