avalon-dev mailing list archives

From peter royal <pro...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] transfer of fortress and ecm
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 20:38:04 GMT
On Apr 21, 2004, at 3:53 PM, Farr, Aaron wrote:
> Or is the understanding that if ECM/Fortress moves to Codehaus there
> will be no
> expectation of changing the Avalon-Framework?

correct. Same as if ECM/Fortress were to be modified so that it could
consume Spring components.. we would not have an expectation of
changing Spring's framework to facilitate such usage.

> Imagine, if you will, that we come out with a complete set of
> specifications
> for Avalon as suggested by Niclas.  Would that suddenly alleviate the
> problem?

it would alleviate it to a large part.

> Would Leo's Gang be willing to drop suggestions of a fork and join
> development in Avalon?

i don't think a multi-container avalon will be viable, unfortunately.
been-there-done-that.

> Will we allow continued development of multiple containers?

That's not something you can stop :)

Really, once you define the Component<=>Container contract, anyone can
then implement it. Its just a matter of whether or not that contract is
expressed somewhere outside of a single container.
-pete