avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Framework using Merlin
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:44:36 GMT
Vijay Kumar AB wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,
>
> But currently is there an equavalent for ECM in merlin? which I can use to
> the problem is I cannot expose the framework as it is confidential
> (company).

There is content dealing with migration (as opposed to emulation).  This
is linked to the avalon-facility package which provides the bridge to
pull based service acquisition.  This will need enhancement to handle
property based resolution which in turn will require some updates to the
underlying meta-model.

> Currently I am using a wrapper class which uses ECM to lookup for the
> component and returns the component to the clients who use the framework. I
> need to change that class to start using Merlin. Also I have used interfaces
> lie ThreadSafe which I don't find equvalents in Merlin.

In merlin you declare this sort of thing via javadoc tags - for example
the following class level tag declares the component as thread safe:

   @avalon.component name="anything-you-like" lifestyle="singleton"

> Looks to me like
> there is lot of work, but is it possible for you to give me a class which
> has main() method which uses some component manager to load a component by
> Role.

There is already the cli handler which is basically this.  There are
also a bunch of embedded examples - from a simple main method, unit
tests, sevlets, etc.

> I also find that the Selector, Role concepts are not found in Merlin.

Correct - Selector semantics mix component type information with
component deployment information - which basically ties your component
implement to a specific deployment scenario - which in turn breaks
component portability.  The solution to this is to encapsulate the
selection semantics within the scope of a composite component - which means:

   (a) selection semantics are moved to a specific configurable
       component
   (b) your component falls back to lock of a selector component

The avalon-facility will be updated to enable this scenario - which
means that (a) your components will not be tied to a deployment scenario
- but instead - they will be tied to a configurable selection service.

> How are the components identified? (Artifact??) I am not sure. Sorry but the
> documentation takes me no where.

Components are not normally identified by a component - instead you
simply declare the dependencies that your component has and the
container will assure that the dependency can be fulfilled before your
component is deployed.

This is main semantic difference - merlin is pushed based, Fortress/ECM
is pull based.  The work related to the finder facility is to enable
reliable assurable pull-based service acquisition.

I'm hoping to cut a binary of merlin 3.3 sometime this weekend
(providing I can resolve some issues concerning the recent version
management updates).  Once that is out of the way I'll be able to really
dig into the finder development and make sure we can provide not only a
migration path - but also a gross-net-improvement in the end result.

Cheers, Stephen.