avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Keeping Fortress/ECM within Apache
Date Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:54:51 GMT
On Friday 23 April 2004 20:36, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Repository is not directly related to components--only indirectly.  So
> it shouldn't remain in Avalon.  The only two options would be to send it
> with Merlin or send it to commons.

Or possibly part of it at some point to Depot.

> Meta?  Never really liked it, but I am not going to rehash it.  As it is
> currently written, it will cause major issues if we change parts of it
> as Merlin depends on it.  The spec for the tags remains with Avalon, but
> the library for Merlin should stay with Merlin.

Good point.

> Obviously.  However, what is left in Avalon?  If Merlin leaves, we have
> some components, a framework, a couple old containers, and a battered
> community.  The biggest thing to address is how to keep life in Avalon
> after Merlin moves out.

Well, if the Gang of Nine has enough spirit to revive this elsewhere, wouldn't
the same spirit be more than enough to revive Avalon, especially since the
"conflicts" have been removed?

> After some initial experiments, I can provide some guidance on choosing
> or adapting meta tags to be future compatible with Java 1.5.  But I
> haven't gotten that far yet.

I am sure your findings, feedback and participation will be appreciated by
GoN. :o)

Niclas