avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: [RT] New Lookup mechanism
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2004 14:06:30 GMT

> From: Carsten Ziegeler [mailto:cziegeler@s-und-n.de]

<snip/>

> Now, what do you think of using an easier solution:
> public interface Locator {
>     Object lookup(Class clazz, String hint); // or Object hint
> }
>
> WDYT?

This seems to me to be a sensible approach.  Why something this
simple is not used into first place is beyond me.

I'd like to see this experimented with using Merlin which lacks
the selector approach and in my opinion is cleaner for it: I just
really dislike the mechanism where a composite String based key is
constructed by concatenation.  However Merlin does need a clean
selector substitute.  This mechanism might be what it was
waiting for.

Also lets stop talking about 'hints'.  These are keys so why not just
call them that?

Alex