avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: Proposal: Versioning
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2004 13:15:04 GMT

Good points.  What's the JEdit system like which tells you if there is a
more recent update?  This I think is great for things like the repository
API.

> In other words, unless you only have one thing to download (like the linux
> kernel), if you want to stay current you have to have something that can
> tell the difference between a dev stream and a stable stream.

Understood.

> As far as Apache HTTPD goes, its version numbers simply increase.  When

<snip/>

> It is easier to grasp than any version model that has more semantics built
> into
> the numbering scheme.

Yes that seems so.

> For us, we basically adopted the HTTPD scheme and added one more level:
> the DEV
> release for something that is unofficial, but being tested.  Our stuff has
> many
> libraries so there is not the concept of one download.

It makes sense.  I'll leave this decision in the hands of those like
yourself who are thinking more in depth about it.  I'll probably use that
scheme once it has solidified for the directory project as well.

Again it would be nice if someone came up with a recommended standard for
doing releases for the whole organization.  It should be recommended but not
required and endorsed by the board.  A consistent release mechanism across
all ASF projects would add value.

Alex