avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Versioning
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 17:08:51 GMT
On Sunday 04 April 2004 14:21, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Gang,

A historical discussion has taken place on IRC :o)

Berin, Stephen and myself, with Leo Simons observing(?), have been discussing
the pros/cons of my earlier proposal, in a very constructive way I must add.

The full log is partially available now, and the rest will show up in due time
at http://www.apache.org/~niclas/irc/2004-04-05.104921.txt

Our conclusion, that we would like to bring forward as the new Versioning
scheme here at Avalon is as follows;

Format;  MAJOR "." MINOR STATE "." MICRO

MAJOR = Incompatible change in the codebase.

MINOR = Compatible change in codebase, with added functionality.

STATE = One of "-DEV", "-RC" or ""  (empty string).
  "-DEV" = Aggressive development in place, nothing is certain,
incompatibilities can occur (if MINOR=0), and basically "bleeding-edge".
  "-RC" = Release candidate. The version should be tested by as many
developers and users as possible.
  "" = Released state. The version that will be properly published, supported
and maintained by the community.

MICRO = Change in the codebase. In -DEV state, every upload to a repository
will increase this number. In -RC state it denotes the Release Candidate
number and for released state, it follows the Dewey convention.

Examples of evolutionary steps;
   3.3-DEV.56
   3.3-DEV.57
   3.3-DEV.58
   3.3-RC.0
   3.3-RC.1
   3.3-RC.2
   3.3.0

When this 3.3.0 is released, the aggressive development (CVS HEAD) moves onto
version 3.4-DEV.0, and the cycle starts all over.
If patches are needed for 3.3.0, then a branch is created in CVS/SVN and
patched, reviewed, tested and released.

Additionally, we agreed that a sequential "build number" was beneficial to
track, so we are also proposing that such is introduced into the Manifest of
the Jar and we make that available in places where diagnostics takes place,
such as logging, JMX, exception traces, and what not.

WDYT this time around?

Niclas