avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Versioning
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 15:02:17 GMT
On Monday 05 April 2004 21:27, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Hmm. The seeming product fragmentation would seem to present a problem as
> far as confusing users.  For example, the user has to know that Merlin CLI
> version 3.2.* will work with Merlin Model 3.4.*, but not Merlin Model
> 3.0.*, etc.

This was the reason why I brought it up.
But at the same time I understand Stephen's reasoning as well, which is purely
from a technical viewpoint.

> When you
> buy Office XP you get all the pieces that are current to Office XP--whether
> some pieces have changed or not from the previous version.

The technical argument here would then be that each of the 683 parts that
Office-XP consists of, all have different versioning under the hood.

Stephen have told me separately that we would do the same, market Merlin 3.4
as a package independently of the underlying versioning.

This get one step trickier in that some of the underlying versioning is
exposed to the user, albeit advanced user, but still the user, in that
"Facilities" will 'depend on' Composition API, and it wouldn't surprise me if
other parts get exposed in the future...

As Stephen points out, there are more than one problem at hand here. The
reason why I brought it up, is because we are already getting a chaos inside
Merlin of the internal dependencies, and to 'bump' the version is a difficult
and error-prone task that needs to be automated. The quickest and simplest
solution that could work was to unify the Merlin versions under a single
point (the root POM).

The problem still remains though, we semi-internal and external dependencies,
so the conclusion is that a version handling framework is need "anyway", and
the management aspect of unified numbers may drop from the agenda.

I am still split in the question, slightly in favor of a unified numbering.

Niclas