avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: Versioning
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:53:18 GMT
On Monday 05 April 2004 21:14, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> > Format:  MAJOR.MINOR.MICRO

> > ODD MINOR = development in progress.
> > EVEN MINOR = released versions.

> Sounds unsurprisingly linux like.....

Actually, I would like the odd/even to be the opposite, but since many people
knows of and understand Linux approach, I don't want to introduce any
confusion.

> Question on minor/major version increments.  It is quite likely that the
> code between a 3.2 and a 3.3 will be very different.

Actually not. When Release 3.2 is made, the 3.3 starts at 3.3.0 in the next
build. BUT during the 3.3 evolution there could be bigger changes, and if the
day comes when/if there is an incompatible change the 3.3.N is bumped to
3.9.0 and the incompatibilites would lead to a 4.0 release later.

> One thing the Cocoon
> folks do between their minor version increments is "branch" the dev stream.
> (Actually they have a completely new repository, but if we go SVN, the
> branch would probably make most sense--they have always had problems with a
> true branch in CVS).

What does the branch buy us? In effect nothing regarding the management of
development releases, since we are still fighting with actual versioned
artifacts that can be identified by Maven. So, during the development branch,
there is a need to keep versioning the "builds" and have all the pieces of
the system to understand the scheme you are deciding to use.

> To keep it straight, would we adopt such a practice here?  That way we can
> easily keep up the "production" build with any bug fixes so that it remains
> as stable as possible, while any new work happens in the dev stream.  That
> would truly be linux like.

How are you suggesting that we 'label' the pre-3.4 development builds and
store them in Maven repos, understood by various system coming in contact
with them.

Niclas