avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: [Proposal] Keeping Fortress/ECM within Apache
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:08:18 GMT

#5 is the tricky part.

Some things seem obvious to me, like composition and activation should go
with Merlin.  But what about repository?  It's actually an independent tool,
and a rather nice one.  Should it go with Merlin?  Stay in Avalon?  Go to
the depot group?  And what about meta?  The implementation should probably
go to Merlin but will we at least have a unified set of meta-tags?  And the
new avalon-logging?  Should it stay in Avalon or move with Merlin?

I'm not saying we have to answer these questions now before we make a
decision.  I just want to point out that there would be plenty of details to
work out.  The issues are really there regardless of it being Fortress or
Merlin which is promoted.

Also, for the sake of everyone's sanity, if this proposal is the one
accepted, it might make more sense to discuss the details in an IRC meeting
so we could cut down on excessive traffic on the mailing lists.  The real
time communication would allow things to happen faster too.

> World Peace and Extinction of All Diseases will follow...
>

> What do you all think?

I'm all for World Peace and Extinction of All Diseases.  Of course that
would probably hurt the medical professions.

I think promoting Merlin to a TLP is just as valid an option as promoting
Fortress/Excalibur to a TLP.  Personally, Merlin seems to make more sense
since between the two it's a larger project.

What about Leo's proposal?  What does the Leo Gang of Nine think?

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653