avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: common-attributes [Was: [RRT] An interface is all you need]
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 16:42:28 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2004 21:48, Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia -
> SPO) wrote:
>
>>Sounds better than having a xml file associated with each class. Can we
>>propose other Meta package as standard? And what about JDK 1.5 ?
>
> Vote from me;  -1
>
> Q:  How on earth is an external (non-Java) tool going to read the
> Meta-Information?
>
> You guys are missing the point. Meta is ABOUT the component, and it is more
> things interested to know ABOUT the component than the container.

Could you give some practical examples?  What non-Java tool would need to
know about the component?  A brain dump would help us visualize the landscape
a bit better.

Wouldn't it also work to create a meta info exporter tool for those purposes?
I.e. the info is still stored with the class so you only have one unit to
serialize in a distributed environment, but external systems can access the
exported representation of the meta info