avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: [RRT] An interface is all you need
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:24:39 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

>> Let's make the Pipe dream become a Reality, even if I am going to die
>> trying. The potential benefits are too vast to stop trying.
>
> +1^84
>
> Anything less just doesn't cut it!

How about all that code that was designed with JavaBeans specs in mind?
Will you be able to support that too?  If so, to what level?  How much
busy work does a person have to do to make that JavaBean that does what
I need work in the new Avalon?

Oh, is that not part of the re-use we are talking about?

Then if it is included (or at least can be included), do we really need
all this other stuff?  You see, there comes a point of diminishing returns.
If the JavaBeans folks were as brilliant as some people claim, then what
value are we adding?  There are tools that work with those off the bat.
Heck, you know that a modern J2EE container can provide you with all the
configuration points for a JDBC DataSource component?  How?  Well, because
of the JavaBeans Spec.

There are dozens of tools around that do that.  What value are we adding?
P.S. I know all the answers to that question, but I am not the one you need
to sell on it.