avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Ist it just me? (was Re: [Meta] Confused by the terms)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:46:58 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Now the biggest problem *I* have are all these new words, like type,
> artifact whatever. And for me it's very hard to find out what something
> means from the docs because I have an idea what a "type" (for instance)
> could/should be and then I read the docs and see that it differs
> from my pov (which might not be bad, but simply confusing).

Exactly my point.  If it takes all those new words to describe what it does,
then it is too complex.  Contrast that with simple attributes.  All you need
to know is you declare an attribute, and the system does what you want it to
do.  That isn't hard.

> "Less is more" and this applies also to the used terms. Terms like
> component, service and implementation are well known in COP, but
> others are not. So imho one has to avoid those new terms or be really
> careful when explaining them.

Again, this also is my point.  When you have more questions than answers
after reading documentation than something is seriously wrong.  It should
not be hard.

> And what me personally helps is looking at the code of some real world
> applications using a container. Is there already some application
> using Merlin one can look at and see in reality how things are done
> there?

Perhaps, but I also prefer solutions that are so simple there is no need
for the examples.  It should be really simple.