avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: Zen Framework (was Re: [avalon] roadmap)
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:16:51 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> What we need to be discussing is a simplification through changes to the
> core.  Do you guys see the issue to be framework or what?  Berin I presume
> your suggestions revolve around framework 5 and supporting containers using
> the new features in jdk1.5 to simply things.  What examples of features do
> you and others have in mind that would help us simply things?

1) Annotations.  No need for a separate library to read and write the meta-info.
    The meta info is accessible using reflection, so no worries about
    "serializing" components accross a stream.

2) java.util.concurrent.  All the tools from Doug Lea and a better memory model
    will make it easier to write thread-safe containers.

3) Generics.  Many operations within the container can be made simpler using
    the generics.

4) java.lang.Runtime.getNumberOfProcessors().  No need to run a shell script to
    determine the number of processors on a machine so that thread pools can be
    sized relative to that automatically.

5) Typesafe enums.  We use enumerated values for a great number of things to
    help the compiler catch potential errors.  This makes it easier and gives
    language support.

6) New JAR compression format.  The libraries can be made much smaller, which
    helps for the larger things like parsers, etc.

7) java.lang.instrument.  Instrumentation is now a natively supported thing in
    Java.

These are a few of the things which are used in just about every container in
Avalon land, so it helps just about everything.

If you are going to focus on the future, I would like the future to be more
simple, yet invite the tooled approach that Niclas advocates.  I just want to
avoid letting the tool mask the true complexity of a system.  Just because we
have a tool doesn't mean that everyone is going to use it.  For the die hards
that still like to code in VI, without an IDE, it shouldn't be a complex task
to create and use components like with EJBs.

If Avalon continues down the path it has been, I feel that Avalon will grow
into a complex spec like EJBs.  While tools help, they shouldn't be *necessary*
to be effective.