avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Zen Framework (was Re: [avalon] roadmap)
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 18:16:21 GMT
Berin Loritsch wrote:

> Learn from Pico Container, Jicerilla, Spring framework.  They
> did the simplest thing that can work, and they have something
> that can fit or be adapted to fit anyone's preferred style of
> programming.

+1

> Start with something simple that works.
*Simple* is the keyword here, right!

> Build with that
> design concept in mind until you just can't fit it in
> anymore.  We have JDK 1.5 available, and it can remove the
> reliance on a number of libraries we currently have.  If
> Avalon 5 is to come out of that, let's leverage Java 1.5.

This is were I don't agree :) Let's not discuss about using
Java 1.5 (I think it's way too early to require this), but
let's discuss this behaviour.
For me it seems, each time the current container implementation
here at Avalon seems to get too complicated, the result is
"Oh, let's create a new, much simpler container". Now,
we all see were we are now. I don't want to update every year
to the "much better version (and it supports this 3000 features
more than the old one". No, thank.

I would love to use ECM with just one or two more features
or perhaps upgrade to Fortress and have there some more features.
Both are simple to setup and simple to use and work perfectly.
But if those things are not really continued here and all work
goes into the next iteration, perhaps using a simple container
framework from somewhere else is much more painless. I don't know.

Carsten