avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Under Merlin's hood (WAS: RE: [avalon] roadmap - library crit eria )
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:35:10 GMT
> It is easy to say "I am in favour of simplicity"... but "Simple for WHO?"

> Simple for the component User?
> Simple for the component Authour?
> Simple for the container developers?

As ordered above.  With the priority on the first two.  If it is too
difficult for users, authors won't have a community.  If it is too difficult
for authors, Avalon won't have a community.

> And don't tell me that it can be for all at the same time, that is plainly
> naive thinking.

 "I knew that programs could have a compelling and deep logical beauty,
  on the other hand I was forced to admit that most programs are
  presented in a way fit for mechanical execution, but even if of any
  beauty at all, totally unfit for human appreciation."

    -- Edsger W. Dijkstra
       "a discipline of programming", 1976

Dijkstra goes on to say that "a carefully chosen separation of concerns is
essential in every respect for the design of high-quality programs."
Dijkstra defines his meaning on page 211, but I think that even the most
pressed for time of us can afford to read the very short entirety of Chapter
27 (209-217).

	--- Noel
      (who grew up on such texts, and thinks they should be mandatory
reading)