avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [excalibur] deprecation and using Commons interfaces
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 04:06:25 GMT
> If no one has any objections I would like to start replacing these classes
> with the commons equivalents for A5.  There is no reason for us to
duplicate
> these classes when the commons does a nice job at it.  I'm sure they would
> work with us to migrate some of our functionality which really should be
> commons code.

I am all for using Commons code, and contributing to it where we have
something better, but there is an issue that needs to be resolved.  The
issue, which I've encountered with DBCP, is that much Commons code is
logging clueless.  So we not only need to add an IoC adapter between the
Avalon container and Commons component, but we need some way of integrating
the component into a logging framework.

I still think that working with Commons is the right way to go.  If Commons
made consistent use of Commons Logging, we could probably tie in that way.

	--- Noel