avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: common-attributes [Was: [RRT] An interface is all you need]
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2004 17:54:33 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

>>From: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>>
>>Vote from me;  -1
>

> As hammett said, it's a bit too early to start casting votes...
>

>>Q:  How on earth is an external (non-Java) tool going to read the
>>Meta-Information?
>>
>>You guys are missing the point. Meta is ABOUT the component,
>>and it is more things interested to know ABOUT the component than
>>the container.
>

> Well, you either get...
>
>     ..."commons-attributes-storage", which is easily accessible from
>        Java, but requires some extra tools to access from outside
>        Java.
>
>     ...XML-storage, which is easily accessible from outside
>        Java, but requires some extra tools (XML parser etc.) to
>        access from Java.

I really don't see a class file replacing the XML content - but I think
that not the real concern here.

The real subject is about:

   * external format evolution

       being able to evolve gracefully from version X to version Y
       of an externalized meta descriptor (which concerns both
       meta-info and meta-data)

   * external format extension

       being able to supplement the model - but the actual
       requirements here seem somewhat foggy to me as extension
       add semantics that are known by some container-side
       handler so in practice anything is already possible

> What is most important to you is of course the factor that decides.
> The goals for C-A made the design of it what it is.
>
> It is absolutely not impossible to access the metainfo from
> non-Java applications. It can be exported to XML, CSV or
> whatever format. It's just heavily biased toward easy access from
> Java as an extension to the reflective API.

Can we explore the above sentence a little.  What I'm interested in
understanding is *if* and where the connections *should* exist.  If I
image a scenario where a model aspect handler is added as part of the
internal container system - I can see two possible approaches:

   1. it uses a supplied Type to get information (such as the
      class name of the component) to handle the internalization
      of a model (using whatever technology is appropriate)

   2. there is a generic method with the Type to provide
      convenient access to supplementary model information

WDYT?

Stephen.