avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: excalibur thread update
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:51:34 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>I think he is the only one currently with objections.  I don't
>>want him to be pressured into it.
>

> I don't want him to feel unduly pressured, but I don't really see that we
> have much choice.  This isn't a matter of wanting to use a new toy or
> implement some agenda.  Refactoring and CVS are incompatible.  We need
> Subversion to be able to carry out the desired changes without disconnecting
> code from history.  It is as fundemental as that.  This is a major reason
> why Subversion was created.

Noel:

Can you confirm if the following actions sounds plausible:

   1. duplicate current excalibur/thread and pool src content in
      cvs to an equivalent svn repository
   2. copy/branch/whatever the current excalibur/thread/src to
      thread/api and thread/impl and thread/instrumented
      (preserving history) and equivalent for pool
   3. dump the duplicates between api and impl through a normal
      removal
   4. copy over the new content from the current CVS api
      impl and instrumented package over the svn content for the
      respective directories (generating historical diffs)
   5. commit

Stephen.