avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Avalon Meta] So What's the Score?
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:06:04 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:

> Quick question to everyone, since it has been brought up:
>
>   Is Avalon Meta officially endorsed as the Avalon-Wide meta spec?
>
> If so, when did we vote for it to become that, or as part of what
> discussion did we reach that consensus?
>
> It is currently my understanding that (which is similar to Berin's):
>
>  1. Meta is released - but then again, so is Fortress Meta, ECM and
>     lots of other stuff. It means we have to look after backwards
>     compatibility, but not any special acceptance of the whole
>     package at framework level.
>
>  2. The last attempt to get a framework-wide metainfo resulted in this:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=avalon-dev&w=2&r=3&s=vote+avalon+meta&q=
>
>     See the [VOTE] Lifecycle Extensions, [ANTI-VOTE] and [ReVote]
> messages.
>
>  3. Avalon Meta has been Merlin-specific so far, and released as part of
>
>     Merlin.
>
> OK, so what did I miss / forget?

You missed the fact that the meta package was pulled out of Merlin and
was pushed and prodded and worked over as a container independent
meta-info facility that was voted on, released by the community and
published by the PMC.

> Let's just get this thing out of the way...

Let's just get on with the development.

We have a platform which let's us deal with mapping of container
specific alias back to standard entries (you wrote the javadoc).  We
have a container that handles non-standard context entries.  There is
not need for the grand debate.

There is a need for understanding what the real migration requirements
are for fortress users.  Get that in place - assess what is an isn't
mappable via alias references - assess the impact of extension of the
standard set relative to the meta-model, make a decision concerning
standard set extension versus custom content handling.

Cheers, Stephen.