avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Mortician at Work
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:24:36 GMT

Carsten:

In answer to you question at the end of the email I've included a bunch
of pointers in-line.

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Keep in mind that before moving anything over to
>>avalon-components - bringing respective packages in line with
>>a common component model will be a prerequisite.
>>

> Ok.
>

>>In particular:
>>
>>   1. usage of standard avalon meta tags

In a lot of the excalibur code the tag markup is fortress specific.
This needs to be brought in line with the Avalon Meta tags specification:

http://avalon.apache.org/meta/tools/tags/index.html

>>   2. elimination of fortress specific context dependencies

Classes such as SourceResolverImpl have runtime dependencies on context
entries such as "context-root" which is Fortress specific. There are a
set of standard Avalon context entries:

    urn:avalon:home
    urn:avalon:temp
    urn:avalon:partition
    urn:avalon:classloader
    urn:avalon:name

See constant declarations:
http://avalon.apache.org/meta/api/index.html

Outside of this - custom context entries need to be fully documented and
backed with appropriate implementation directives (if and where required).

>>   3. resolution of components using /Selector semantics

Involves sorting out where /Selector is really required as opposed to
factoring out the use of /Selector in favor of an explicit selection
services (which in turn can be implemented with a facility).  Some
initial actions toward this objective are in place under the
merlin/facilities/finder subproject.

Cheers, Steve.