avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: excalibur thread update
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2004 12:01:34 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Have just committed some changes in the excalibur thread package
>>linked to the updates I made to excalibur-pool
>

>>  2. removed deprecated ThreadControl and ThreadPool
>

> If Avalon's ResourceLimitingPool is finally working properly, so that we
> don't need the one in James, let me know.  Otherwise, it sounds as if we
> just broke org.apache.james.util.thread.DefaultThreadPool.

Nothing is broken.

James is not dependent on the updates I have made. If James is dependent
on deprecated interfaces then in order to migrate from a 1.X to a 2.X
James code would need to be updated.

See:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/james-server/src/java/org/apache/james/uti
> l/thread/?only_with_tag=branch_2_1_fcs
>
> If everything works, I could use
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-components/cornerstone/threads/impl
> /src/java/org/apache/avalon/cornerstone/blocks/threads/ResourceLimitingThrea
> dManager.java.  However, there were bugs in the Avalon code in the past.  I
> know that Leif did some work on parts of it back in the same timeframe when
> I extracted the necessary code for James to work, but I don't know if he got
> to all of the bugs.  Unfortunately, with all of the shuffling of file
> locations, we've effectively lost all of the CVS history, so when I look at
> something like
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-excalibur/thread/impl/src/java/org/
> apache/avalon/excalibur/thread/impl/ResourceLimitingThreadPool.java, there
> is no history *at all* to see.

None of the current codebase has been touched.  You have full CVS
history under the src directory.  Yes - checking out a diff between
sources in different directories is not automatic - but not impossible
either.

> If we are going to keep re-organizing code, perhaps it is time to get into
> Subversion, so that we stop losing the change history?  If you look here:
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/avalon-excalibur/thread/impl/src/java/org/
> apache/avalon/excalibur/thread/impl/, not one file has any change history.
> And don't tell me to go look in the Attic somewhere.

I'm not telling you to go looking in an attic - I am saying that the
packages I've been addressing need to be brought into a manageable
state.  What I'm doing it to verify if this is reasonable or not.  So
far things are looking positive but its far from a done deal.  If
someone wants to help on things like getting CVS history updated - great.

> If I come across as a bit annoyed, actually I am.  I spent a lot of time in
> the past to trace through the code.  Now I want to go back and see if
> problems were fixed so that we can use the new code.  But the change logs
> are gone,

THE LOGS ARE NOT GONE.

so I have to re-analyze the code from scratch.  That's pretty much
> an incentive to use the already tested code in the James CVS, except that
> the interface changes mean that code is broken, too.
>
> Am I getting my point(s) across?

Not really.

What you are getting across is that there is content in James that
addresses apparent issues with the excalibur-thread package.  All of the
cvs history for cornerstone and excalibur threads and pool are available.

Please note that some projects will never upgrade and that the 1.X
series in excalibur (together with the myriad of deprecations) will
remain in cvs under tag.  In the meantime I'm interested in getting some
of the excalibur content into a maintainable state - and that means
getting rid of the deprecated content.

Stephen.