avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Unifying Vision
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2004 04:48:00 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Wednesday 10 March 2004 11:47, Stephen McConnell wrote:
>
>>Most of you are probably thinking to yourselves that I'm fully in
>>agreement with Niclas on this conclusion.  Actually I'm not.  I would
>>simply suggest changing the last bullet item from:
>

>>>  * Leading to flourishing number of components.
>

>>to the following:
>>   * Leading to flourishing number of Avalon compliant
>>     component publishers.
>

> Really picky, aren't we? :o)

:-)

Actually - yes - because my hunch is that your summation will set the
groundwork for the first concrete Avalon charter.  Within that context I
think Avalon's role in this context is more about enabling publication
though technology than itself as a publishing house.  At the same time
think we have a role in demonstrating publication through our repository
in avalon-components - a proof of viable and sustainable component and
service content management.

> But yes, important fact that publishers are needed, not just Avalon community
> itself. And whether such publishers are OSS or commercial is not relevant,
> many users are prepaid to pay good money if it is a value-add, and we should
> be friendly to this type of commerce.

Yep.

Cheers, Steve.