avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@d-haven.org>
Subject Re: total domination - no prisoners
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2004 14:05:51 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Irrespective of my unbounded agreement with Silvian - I'm going to
> disagree with Sylvian on a very basic principal.  The Cocoon community
> and for that matter all users of ECM and Fortress and are dealing with
> meta information.  The mysterious ROLE static value is nothing more that
> the declaration by a component of the public service interface it
> provides - and yet where is the avalon documentation for this?  It does
> not exist.  Furthermore - the role file is pure loosely documented
> meta-data, mapping "role" names to implementation solutions.  Rather
> than clearly and completely documenting these contracts (let alone
> expressing these semantics in a formal API), the existence of ROLE has
> been argued by a select few on the basis of "convenience" and even "the
> intuitive approach".  In effect the reality is that undocumented
> semantics combined with a legacy implementation is the the only tangible
> definition of LSD's "too much magic".

Just to address the ROLE static value issue, the MAJOR reason for that
value is to allow the compiler to catch spelling mistakes.

Granted, the ECM did follow some extra semantics which kind of forced Fortress
to follow suite to remain compatible in many respects.

There is nothing heinous or bad about allowing the compiler catch spelling
mistakes instead of discovering it at runtime.

As to documented semantics, they were documented on the website within the
DWA paper.  When that was included in the paper, it was the basis of the
current mindset and set of best practices defined at that time.  Extensive
discussion took place on this list all that time ago.  You may go back in
the archives to look it up.  However, to say it is undocumented is incorrect.
It is just not agreed to by "a select few" that happen to like to change
accepted patterns all the time.

This is just for clarification, so do with it what you will.