avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging at Avalon
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 23:40:39 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> So, from this mail, from Stephen's post last week and from
> the Aaron's mail I get the statement that (putting it directly)
> LogKit is dead.

I would not put it like that.  I would say that if the Log4J 2.0
promises are delivered that LogKit could go to bit heaven.  In the
meantime there are things we can do with LogKit plugin under Avalon
Logging that you cannot do with the current Log4J plugin.  Partly this
relates to support in the LogKit plugin for plugin targets and partly
related to log content formatting enhancements.

> I don't know if this is good or bad, but if you decide this, please
> state this officially.

Absolutely - but I would not expect to see anything happening terribly
quickly as there is still lots to be done on the Log4J 2.0 front and how
we deal with that with respect to plugable targets.

> The next steps as you all outlined should be to move the still
> interesting parts from excalibur logger to other places where they fit
> better and "close" excalibur logger.

The answer to this comes back to the decisions concerning product
direction. Cocoon depends on ECM depends on Ecalibur Logging depends on
LogKit.

Stephen.