avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Under Merlin's hood
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:17:22 GMT
Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO) wrote:

> I have been watching the cocoon list for a while. Its amazing how things
> happen smoothly. We should re-think our roles around here and start to act
> as a community.

And just how many competing products and integral architectures is
Cocoon endorsing, publishing and supporting?  Just how many mail servers
is the James community supporting?  How many different component
architecture is Turbine backing (as opposed to the number of
architectures they have to deal with).

Let me fill you in on something:

    * the answer is one

And how does this impact a community. It means that the community is a
community because is bound be a single idea, a vision, an ideal - call
it what you want.

But get this strait...

    * so long as fool around with the irrational nation of
      multiple architectures we will not build this community

    * so long as there isn't a common shared basis for winning
      and losing - we will not have a goal and we will not have
      a community with something to loose

Put in place one solution.  Kill the rest and you change the equation.
I'm not concerned about people leaving because we take a decision.  I am
concerned about people leaving because we don't a decision.  Bottom line
is that after the dust disappears there is only one platform to scratch
you itch on.  If Leo^2(s) wants to reinvent meta - well guess what -
there will be a single meta that is part of a single product that is the
single architecture that is Avalon. And if you and and I are going to
spend time on interoperability between Merlin and Castle - I'm betting
on the fact  that your going to take that one product a lot more more
seriously - both in terms of what changes and what doesn't.

If we look at the content of the discussion over the last few days we
can make some observations.  Highly dived, in some cases confused, in at
least once case just out and out misleading.

Why?

Because we have not taken a decision and as such there are bunch of
people putting up the final statements before a decision is taken that
will impact this community, its content and it people.

So lets get to the point.  One product architecture.  One product
implementation. If someone doesn't like that product then they need to
get their butt in gear and do something about it. And a united community
will make sure it evolve.  More than that - and perhaps most important
of all - there are enough arrogant sons-of-bitches in this community to
make Avalon totally rock.

Now is the time to make that decision.

Stephen.