avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Zen Framework (was Re: [avalon] roadmap)
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2004 17:10:34 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> I was actually watching the Academy Awards a few moments ago...
> Some emoticons would probably been appropriate.
>
> Seriously,
> My personal opinion is that "Programmer Flexibility" is the worst thing that
> happened to software development, perhaps together with the "I can do that
> myself"-attitude.
> I like Avalon, because it not only promotes good patterns, but in fact
> enforces them, making me a better software citizen.
> I don't need flexibility, I have had that for 20 years and haven't given me
> any substantial benefits, on the contrary.

I'm CC'ing the list, because both your comments and mine are important enough
for all to see.

My main point, as always, is not promoting programmer flexibility, but avoiding
arbitrary constraints.  The more shackles you put on me as a developer, the more
I have to work against or around the system set up if it doesn't exactly meet my
needs.  If you start simple, and grow simple, the number of contracts you have
are small.  The current state of merlin is that there are so many contracts that
I feel like I need to understand that I can't possibly keep them straight.

Remember, in a world where there are few absolutes (such as software
development), perception is more important than fact.  I don't get the feeling
of simplicity, or "it just works" when I look at either Maven or Fortress (and I
wrote the latter).  That is the main goal I want to encourage you to focus on.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin