avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Finally!
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2004 19:06:40 GMT

Gang,

avalon-excalibur FINALLY builds from scratch, with a single
    maven multiproject:install

1. Everything in avalon-excalibur builds! Including ECM, compatibility, and
unit tests.

2. All intra-excalibur dependencies are set to the current version. No
excalibur downloads required for build.

3. Everything is updated to avalon-logkit ver 2.0. This required a potential
incompatibility in Fortress ContextManager.java, where Log4JConf were used in
a catch() clause, which I bluntly removed, and the fallback is to a LogKit
logger instead. (Anton, is that OK?)

4. All unit tests pass, except ONE, DefaultDOMHandlerFactoryTestCase in
xmlutil. I have been tinkering with the code, but can't get the namespace to
work. Help appreciated. Meanwhile, it doesn't fail on that error.

5. No more cyclic dependencies.

Please note that avalon-logkit needs to be built before excalibur;
    cd avalon-logkit
    maven jar:install

One major step and heaps of tiny changes had to be made to make this at all
possible, without breaking anything.

I have copied (with history) avalon/fortress to avalon-excalibur/fortress, and
restructured the content to remove these endless cross/cyclic dependencies,
and cvs-removed avalon/fortress.

Anyone having a problem with the changes required to make this possible, feel
free to roll back and make a build system that
1. Requires a single command per cvs module, 42 build commands are not
workable.
2. Builds under Gump without failures.
3. Solves the cross-dependency between "avalon" and "avalon-excalibur".
4. Solve the cross/cyclic dependencies within the Fortress package.

I still have more work to do, mainly
1. Create/validate equally simple system for other build targets/goals.
2. Make sure Gump works, as soon as the Gump folks gives thumbs up that the
recent problems has been solved.
3. Translate any remaining xdocs from forrest...

Any problems, please report ASAP.

Niclas