avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [RRT] An interface is all you need
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:39:39 GMT
On Friday 19 March 2004 01:24, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> How about all that code that was designed with JavaBeans specs in mind?

What about it?

> Will you be able to support that too?  If so, to what level?  How much
> busy work does a person have to do to make that JavaBean that does what
> I need work in the new Avalon?

How often does he have to do it? How many people have to do the wrapper, and
press Publish in their IDE?

> Oh, is that not part of the re-use we are talking about?

Why not? Btw, isn't JavaBeans to constricting for your taste, all these naming
conventions, semantics, meta information and what not?

> Heck, you know that a modern J2EE container can provide you with all the
> configuration points for a JDBC DataSource component?  How?  Well, because
> of the JavaBeans Spec.

You probably know more about JDBC than I do, what is a DataSource component?
Does it happen to be that a DataSource component have to follow certain
rules? You say JavaBeans, and might it not be that there are some stuff
implied in the getXyz() names? Via BeanInfo (what is that by the way, meta
perhaps?)?

> There are dozens of tools around that do that.  What value are we adding?

Do I have to answer it?

Niclas