avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: Excalibur thread update
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:30:18 GMT

I never blasted anyone nor will I.

> Obviously it does now - So please, stop the HIPPOCRACY.
> Either it does matter (history is preserved, and I keep bugging about
> 'stop
> the rhetoric and do the work') or it does NOT matter (history is lost, and
> I'll shut up).

I've always have been a proponent of giving credit where credit is due
and would never take that away from anyone.  However I think you're not
referring to me specifically but I had to say that regardless.  I have
agreed to the removal of the @author tags because they are ambiguous and
actually take more away from the orig author of a file.  The history is the
true judge of who did what.  It's what is sacred not the @author tags.

I'm not here for the glamour, if any, with writing OS code but it's
important to maintain this history.  To some, the credit is very important
and I can't judge their motives - everyone has their own reasons for
contributing.  Personally for me it's to be part of something bigger than
myself.  The fact however does remain that @author tags are ambiguous.
There is no hypocrisy in stating that and working hard to maintain
history.

Don't attach a moral judgment or notion of hidden agendas to the removal
of @author tags.  Just work with the facts.  @author does not mean anything
when the code is authored by a community.  We'd be better off writing our
own doclet and have an @community custom tag and be done with it.  Anyway
if you stop thinking people are trying to undermine the efforts of others
you'll be free to interpret just the facts.  @author does nothing for
anyone.  I can just change a file and add my own @author tag to it or
replace the original author's tag.  There after people only see me as
the author.  Javadocs have high visibility and authorship through the
@author tag can be very misleading especially to our users.  It can actually
result in situations where perceived authorship is taken away from one
and granted to another.  So the final verdict always rests with history.
In the history we can see those who really groked the code if that was
the question on the table.  Treating @author tags as really meaning
@community tags and emphasizing the history as the master record in the
end protects people like you and Stephen who are working their buns off.

Disclaimer: I know others are working their buns off too.

Respectfully,
Alex