avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: Under Merlin's hood
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 15:21:07 GMT
> > How's that for a plan?
>
> Looks fine. I need to read up on Merlin in order to get the plan
> worked out, though. We may have to start with a new architecture
> and then implement Merlin-as-it-is-now on top of that, because
> I think this is something that can't be bolted on.

That may very well be the case but let's not go into it with presumptions.
Do me a favor and go in tabula raza.  It will not be easy I know.  And the
Merlin'ites to date should be there to help navigate that landscape.
However we cannot be afraid of slowly shifting Merlin's architecture.  I
think a big bang approach would be too extensive though but that's just
my opinion.

Perhaps we need to think about how we can take small setup steps that
refactor some of the relevant code in Merlin until this mechanism can
more easily be introduced.  What do you guys think about that?

> We have to look over all features in Merlin, and then see how
> these could be implemented as "aspects" (or whatever we'll
> end up calling them), and figure out what the Aspect interface will
> look like and so on...

Yes

> > > OK, now, any ComponentHandler that wishes to be part of the
> > dependency
> > > validation must implement DependencyProvider. If you don't
> > implement
> > > it, fine - you're not part of the validation.
> >
> > Is the ComponentHandler ~= Appliance?

We could look at how we can enable an Appliance to either act as a
ComponentHandler this way or do we need to introduce another interface?

> Note: The implementation I wrote was just a brain dump with a lot
> of "fill in the blank here".

Gotcha we can refine the idea gradually.

Alex