avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Karasulu" <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject RE: GUIApp (was Re: Honest Opinion, Take it for what its worth)
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:44:04 GMT
> What is relevant to Avalon though is that more and more the configuration
> file
> formats lend a great deal to the perceived complexity of the containers.
> As
> LSD has been good to point out, too much magic is not good.  Sylvain put
> it best
> as "Too much magic spoils the confidence".  If you can't readily see how
> something maps at a glance, you tend not to trust it.
>
> Perhaps a lesson for moving forward...

Noted this is another area where we can re-factor in simplification.  But
the complexity to configurations you speak about has to do with where a
container keeps it right because the content of the config is essentially
determined by a component.  The nature of the component determines the
perceived complexity of the configuration.  Take the data source component
whose config looks messy and complex verses the thread manager component.
One looks more complex than the other.

However again I think you were referring to how the container deals with the
placement and handling of configurations.

We need to capture all this in one place to make a good list of areas of
potential improvement.

Alex