avalon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Under Merlin's hood (WAS: RE: [avalon] roadmap - library crit eria )
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 20:06:59 GMT

Sorry, but you manage to make me pretty upset...

On Friday 05 March 2004 03:35, Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - 
SPO) wrote:
> -----Mensagem original-----
> De: Niclas Hedhman [mailto:niclas@hedhman.org]
>
> > The majority of the current inactive committers, that is...
>
> Still peer who deserve the same attention of an *active* commiter. Since
> when Meritrocracy is measured by the quantity of commits? Since when
> inactive have no voice?

I do consider you on the "Complexity Bench", as I understand Castle is 
borrowing a lot of the "apparent complexity" from Merlin. But I also 
recognize that you have many other views as well.

> And which one is inactive here? Please state names. Leo Sutic just released
> a bunch of things, and for God sake I didnt want to be in his shoes!
> LSimons always come with good ideas. Berin resigned.

I don't need to state any names. It is easy to have opinion, if you don't need 
to back it with putting in time to make it happen. If you don't put in time, 
your opinion will be noted, appreciated (even if I don't agree with it) and 
processed accordingly.
As for Leo Sutic - YES he puts in substantial amount of work, no doubt. I 
didn't say "noone". You said "majority", one person is not a majority, I 
objected to that.

Why not look at the commits for 2004? Want to go further back? Just the number 
of entries in CVS mailing list;
akarasulu = 1
bloritsch = 1
crafterm = 1
cziegler = 44
farra = 87 (+a lot on Wiki)
giacomo = 1
hammet = 79
leif = 8
leosimons = 15
leosutic = 49
mcconnell = 636
neeme = 1
niclas = 192
oberhack = 187
tbennett = 5

How about responding to questions on users@avalon.apache.org? You want me to 
count there?
How do you want to rate "contribution" ? Please put a number on it !

> Back to the subject of this discussion: acting as a community is not what
> your is doing. We're not a company, PMCs are not bosses, we should code
> what *we* think is the best and not what only one think is the best as it
> maybe don't represents the community view at all.

Maybe my logic is incredibly flawed, but I interpret you are argument against 
yourself.

Your argument goes something like;
"We are not a Company -> I should do what I think is right."
"I should not do what I think is right, but what other people is telling me is 
right."

Cheers
Niclas

P.S.  I am not saying that lesser contributors are not appreciated, everyone 
do what they can "afford". I do value ideas to flow, but that doesn't 
necessary mean I am willing to put in an effort to develop and support them.

-- 
+---------//-------------------+
|   http://www.bali.ac         |
|  http://niclas.hedhman.org   |
+------//----------------------+

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@avalon.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@avalon.apache.org


Mime
View raw message