avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Zen Framework (was Re: [avalon] roadmap)
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:03:08 GMT
On Thursday 04 March 2004 22:16, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> If you are going to focus on the future, I would like the future to be more
> simple, yet invite the tooled approach that Niclas advocates.  I just want
> to avoid letting the tool mask the true complexity of a system.  Just
> because we have a tool doesn't mean that everyone is going to use it.  For
> the die hards that still like to code in VI, without an IDE, it shouldn't
> be a complex task to create and use components like with EJBs.

With due respect, you are not looking closely at my "Spiral to Heaven".

It is NOT "Tools leads to Components", but the reverse. Unfortunately, with
the "catch" that the components has to be in accordance with a strict
specification, and not the fluffy API of 'just about everything'.

I have mentioned it so many times before. Components are so much more than
code in a JAR. Off my head;

1) Identification.
2) Packaging.
3) Component Specification.
4) Documentation
5) Meta-information
6) Supply information

Possibly also "Structural Model information" and "Behavioural Model
information", but that could be considered part of a "Component Specification
Set".

I foresee a future where you don't have a couple of dozen or hundreds of
components, but hundreds of thousands or even millions.
And that also mean I should be able to search the vast sea of components to
find what I need (Meta-information), which returns the unique Identity of
each one that fits the search criteria. I then get the Component
Specification to verify that it contains what I am looking for and I check
that the Supply (Licensing, Price, Availability whatever) is what I am
looking for. Once I start using the component, I will find all the details of
the usage in the Documentation.
And if it is not Packaged in a standardized way, tools can't deal with this
work process, and a lot of manual labour is required, just like today when I
need to find something to reuse.

Cheers
Niclas