avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: Checking PHOENIX_PID for validity
Date Thu, 04 Mar 2004 12:15:30 GMT
On Thursday 04 March 2004 18:53, Daniel Perry wrote:
> >>Sounds as if you down have it registered to be stopped during shutdown.
>
> Ok, that was my guess...
> But again, being new to this, how do you do that? I thought having it
> registered as a service, it would be done for me...
>
> [root@p4-7138 root]# chkconfig --list | grep james
> james           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off

I am not sure which OS you are running, but the standard mechanism for startup
and shutdown under System V is that you have a "initi.d" directory containing
the script itself, which understand "start" and "stop" argument.
Then there is a "rcN.d" containing the symbolic link to the
"init.d/phoenix-server.sh", and is "prepended" with an "Sxx" or a "Kxx".

N stands for the RunLevel, and those are slightly different on each OS. On my
Linux 3 is for Multiuser text mode, and 5 is for MultiUser X Desktop and 6
for shutdown.

xx is a number to control the order in which things are started or shutdown.

So you look through the existing list and figure out how soon or how late in
the sequence it must start or stop.

So you do something like;

ln -s /etc/init.d/phoenix-server.sh /etc/rc3.d/S95phoenix.sh
ln -s /etc/init.d/phoenix-server.sh /etc/rc5.d/S95phoenix.sh
ln -s /etc/init.d/phoenix-server.sh /etc/rc6.d/K10phoenix.sh

I hope this helps.

Niclas