avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject [Proposal] Unified code format by Jalopy
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2004 22:58:47 GMT

Gang,

I would like to suggest that we introduce Jalopy to enforce code formatting.

This means that we define and agree upon a set of formatting rules, and place
that into the a Jalopy definition file, and that this is executed against all
our sources at regular intervals (such as after a change).
Maven supports Jalopy out of the box, so it is just a matter of running Maven
with a jalopy target, but we need the definitions established first.

The "definition" includes all the gritty details on code format, such as "open
brace placements", "space after paranthesis", "space around operators",
"maximum length of line", "break line after operator" and so on, and so on...

Although we all have to "adjust" to some extent, I think we will all benefit
from it in the long run. If there are Apache or Jakarta wide recommendations,
I suggest we follow them.

I volunteer to set it all up, and explain all the individual settings that we
have to agree upon.

What do you all think?

Niclas