avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: [merlin] JMX MBean generator facility
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2004 15:52:39 GMT
On Monday 01 March 2004 23:35, Cameron Fieber wrote:

> Nit picking is fine! :-)  My understanding of the event model is
> somewhat limited but as I understand it: a modelAdded containing a
> ContainmentModel as the child would mean that a new sub-container was
> just added?  In that case I call processModel on the DeploymentModel
> contained in the event to register as a listener to that sub-container,
> and process the models that it contains.  If there's a better way to do
> it, I'm all for it - I'm mainly just trying to figure this stuff out as
> I go.

Well, first of all the CompositionEvents are something very new, couple of
weeks I think, and is not completely ironed out.
Not discussing what happens exactly (which I think there are some bugs), but
what _should_ happen.

In an EventDriven programming model, you should never be required to traverse
or search for information. You show some interest by registering a listener,
and stuff then comes to you.
Now, that would mean in our case that if a container with loads of components
in it is added to the model, it should be seen as 1 ContainerAdded event + 1
ComponentAdded event for each component in the container.

We'll try to make this a reality, if it is not so now (I think it is not so
for removal, at the moment).

As for the strategy, let's investigate the alternatives.
The good side is that I am pretty interested in getting this integrated, and I
think Stephen also appreciate your work here, so we will do what it takes to
bring this inline with the rest of Merlin.

Niclas