avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Hamilton Verissimo de Oliveira (Engenharia - SPO)" <hamilton.olive...@agenciaclick.com.br>
Subject Re: Ist it just me? (was Re: [Meta] Confused by the terms)
Date Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:34:30 GMT
-----Mensagem original-----
De: Berin Loritsch [mailto:bloritsch@d-haven.org]

>> Its a TypeDescriptor. Something like "for class X there are these
>> dependencies, these custom lifecycles" and so on.
>
> Here in lies one of the fundamental problems I have with the
> Meta package.  If there is this much discussion about it with
> people who are Avalon veterans, then something is seriously
> wrong.  It is too complex, and introduces too many new concepts
> that we haven't bought off on.
>
> This is a "code smell" or at least a "design smell".
>
> That is also part of the reason I continually try to push simpler
> solutions like Commons Attributes or JDK 1.5 annotations.  The
> bottom line is it should not be this hard.

Berin, I don't think its too complex. I believe it have a bunch of
desnecessary information, but the approach is simple:

- Transform information from somewhere into an object model instance (and
these info could came from a serialized format or xml)

What I think makes thing complex is Merlin specific like profiles, and xinfo
(and now Permission).

But if you don't want to use Meta you'll end up using something like it.