avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Farr, Aaron" <Aaron.F...@am.sony.com>
Subject RE: Under Merlin's hood
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2004 14:57:18 GMT

I hope so.  Because /LS's feature requests here are in line with some of my
feature requests.

> Now this is very interesting.  You're suggesting that dependency checks
> are
> a feature of the container?  I think I like this.  It's a most excellent
> way
> to take an intertwined aspect of a container and separate it.  See this is
> the kind of stuff we need to talk about and make Steve permeable to.
> This
> is exactly what I was referring to above about stripping out features and
> making it pluggable.  We can do it.

Dependency management, lifecycles, etc -- it should all be "pluggable."  In
fact, I'd like to see us get to the point that our components don't _have_
to implement anything from Avalon framework.  So that just about everything
is optional, with of course, some things being "recommended."

> 1). Make a list of these seperable features/aspects
> 2). Order wrt complexity of achieving separation
> 3). Adjust order with respect to possible dependencies
> 4). Take top most feature or setup goals and start re-factoring Merlin to
> make the feature pluggable and isolated.
> 5). Go to 4 until list is gone
>
> At the end of the day Merlin will be what we want it to be.

+1

I'd like to point out though, that I feel most of these issues are
_implementation_ issues and can be sorted out fairly easily I hope.  If
someone strongly feels they _can't_ be, then that should be voiced.

The more important issue is that we're all working together on a common
solution rather than split across several incompatible container
implementations.  I think we are coming to that consensus.

J. Aaron Farr
  SONY ELECTRONICS
  DDP-CIM
  (724) 696-7653