avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Sutic" <leo.su...@inspireinfrastructure.com>
Subject RE: [excalibur] deprecation and using Commons interfaces
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:59:40 GMT

> From: Alex Karasulu [mailto:aok123@bellsouth.net]
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get my hands around the Excalibur stuff
> today because well the thread manager I use depends on it.  I
> really want to stop using deprecated ThreadPool interfaces
> and the like.
>
> Could we take a vote to work with the commons folks who
> already have a
> thread pool package out there.  I'm tired of having copies of
> commons stuff.
>
> Granted some of it my have become redundant over time as
> API's matured.
> For an example of what I'm talking about take a look at the
> ValuedEnum class in both framework and ValuedEnum in the
> commons-lang project.  The same
> situation exists for many classes, CascadingExceptions Vs.
> NestedExceptions
> to utilities like ExceptionUtil Vs. ExceptionUtils and the
> list goes on.
>
> If no one has any objections I would like to start replacing
> these classes with the commons equivalents for A5.  There is
> no reason for us to duplicate these classes when the commons
> does a nice job at it.  I'm sure they would work with us to
> migrate some of our functionality which really should be commons code.

Alex,

good idea - duplication isn't a good thing. But consider other
sources, since this is for A5 (which is a bit off still):

 - CascadingException -> Java 1.4 Exceptions are cascading without
   the need for any utility class:

   http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Exception.html

 - ThreadPool -> util.concurrent has a ThreadPoolExecutor that later
   became the ThreadPool in java.util.concurrent in Java 1.5:

http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/dl/concurrent/dist/docs/java/util/concurrent/Th
readPoolExecutor.html

   Requiring JDK1.5 may be too much, but using the util.concurrent
version
   would make for easier migration to 1.5 later.

Just a thought - if we're going to break back-compat, we might as well
clean up everythng we can.

/LS