avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject ant instead of maven (was: Re: Versioning scheme)
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:43:11 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
>>I agree that maven is not perfect [1], but do you have any idea of the
>>work required to revamp the entire build system *again*?
>
> YES

really?

> but I am willing to do the work :o)

that's probably a full work week or two you're volunteering here ;)

How would you want to build the websites, for example?

Fork the maven reports plugins, convert them into ant scripts, maintain
the forked functionality here?

Write an XSLT-based script that transforms all documentation (including
the ones with subtle XML errors that velocity gracefully eats) sources?

The avalon website is looking quite good (especially the merlin part),
and I know how to maintain it and how to change things. It's way better
than anything we had back in the days of anakia, or later cocoon and
forrest.

My stance on any build system refactoring is simple: I'll be happy as
long as it improves in one or more directions and doesn't make things
worse in any other direction. The mailing list archives have lots of
thoughts about our build system requirements :D

My assertion is (was some time ago and has not changed) that maven will
reach a stable and good-working 1.0 release before any such makeover is
complete. Coupled with the inconvenience caused by large build system
refactorings and the amount of time investment needed to do it...I don't
think its a good idea.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons