avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] defining compatibility
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:32:41 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
 >>From: news [mailto:news@sea.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Leo Simons
 >>
 >>that's just about exactly what I did, and it got me into a
 >>trademark debate.
 >
 > With whom?

The Avalon PMC.

I asked the PMC to grant permission for some specific
endorsement/promotional usage according to the ASL, clause 4:

" 4. The names "Jakarta", "Avalon", "Excalibur", "Avalon Framework" and
     "Apache Software Foundation"  must not be used to endorse or promote
     products derived  from this  software without  prior written
     permission. For written permission, please contact
     apache@apache.org."

with regard to my project. Since I did not receive such permission, I
decided to use wording which I thought appropriate to indicate the
relationship between my project and avalon.

While nothing "official" was ever decided on by the PMC, there were
quite a few concerns voiced by members of the pmc, and some requests and
suggestions made. Since I don't want anything else than a productive and
healthy relationship between my project and the avalon community and its
members, my project the avalon pmc, and between my project and the asf
as a whole, I removed any material from the project documentation that
might possibly be viewed as "endorsement" or "promotion". (As I'm not a
lawyer or poet, I did not want to invest a lot of energy into finding
out by trial and error what exact wording would be agreeable in this
respect to the avalon PMC.)

But this is digressing a little from the actual topic of my RT, which is
a lot more interesting (IMHO)......

Some of the comments that were made were about addressing what stuff is
and what stuff is not compatible with other stuff (like a container with
the avalon framework), and how to measure something like that. Which is
in itself an interesting subject :D

My previous e-mail in this thread reflects some of my thoughts about
that, especially about how to agree on what should be measured; it's not
directly aimed at in any way achieving compatibility. It's random
thoughts, no more, no less :D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons