avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PMC:VOTE] release process for cocoon deps
Date Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:46:54 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:
> The subject of this message starts with [PMC:VOTE], however, I don't see
> anything to vote on.

"Proposal: if working and thoroughly tested (with verifiable results of
course) versions of [this specific package list] are produced, lets
agree to release them even if their documentation may not be exactly
what we would like it to be."

that's the vote.

> I don't see a release manager, a release plan, or
> even a release candidate.

correct. None of those exist at this point. Carsten raised concerns
about figuring all of that out and then blocking on this stuff...

"The last time I tried it (and you tried it as well) it all failed
because of a veto for the release as someone said "There are no docs, I
don't know what it's all about and I don't like it". Or something
similar. And I don't want to go through this again. "

The vote is about not going "through [that] again".

> However, I did see a generic statement
> suggesting Avalon adopt the principal of releasing undocumented code. Is
> that the subject of the vote?

no, this is not about principle, it is about pragmatism. It is about
agreeing that we bend the principle of "pristine" documentation in the
best interest of project interoperability, in this specific case.

Surely you'll remember the months of excalibur phase I, II, III, IV, V,
Pi^2 release talks, and how a lot of that ultimately blocked on
documentation "requirements"? That was extremely frustrating. The
problem is that while people like Berin or me or Carsten pop up every
now and then who are perfectly willing to do lots of work to, in this
case, make cocoon a better product and avalon a more valuable dependency
for cocoon to have, but don't feel like complying with vague "release
quality principles" and the squabble surrounding those.

Once again, the thought behind the vote is

    let's adopt more *pragmatism*, in this *particular instance*, in the
    interest of *co-operation*

> The lack of documentation simply reflects a lack of
> sufficient interest relative to the code.

no, the lack of documentation reflects a lack of sufficient interest
relative to the documentation. There is an interest in the code.
Carsten's "cry for release" message is sufficient indication of that
interest, don't you think?

> IMO the more import question
> is what we should be doing to address the viability of the code in
> question.

I don't want to go through all the hassle to reach consensus on that
right now (again! We've been through all this! Must we really spend
hours discussing all that every three months?).

> Is there interests within the Avalon community in maintaining
> the code or not.

yes, there is. But there seems to be little to no interest in
maintaining documentation that complies with the vague "release quality
principles".

>   (a) is the package relevant to Avalon

yes. Everything irrelevant was chucked out, remember? We decided on this
already. Let's not decide again.

>   (b) is the Avalon dev community ready/willing/able to
>       support the package

yes! Again, we went through a long and painful process, and every time
the answer was no we took action. Can we *please* not rehash all that?

But support as in writing end user tutorials is not always needed dude.
The target audience for some of these packages are avalon experts who
can just read the source. They don't need hand-holding.

----

part of the problem is precisely having to hold these discussions again
and again and again. No need to veto: you can discuss things to death.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons