avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Notification pattern has interesting effects on IoC
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:00:39 GMT
Leo Sutic wrote:
>>From: Alex Karasulu [mailto:aok123@bellsouth.net]
>>
>> If you can centralize the event->method call
>>transformation logic or event generate it from declarative
>>meta data your really phat!
>
> There's a general way of doing this:
>
> Use a dynamic proxy.

yep. Here's a reasonably generic way to do it manually:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/framework/impl/src/java/org/jicarilla/framework/AbstractAsyncEnabled.java?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.2

and here's such a dynamic proxy:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/framework/impl/src/java/com/leosimons/jicarilla/framework/Attic/AsyncProxy.java?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.4

I kinda forgot why I dropped the dynamic proxy thing. I even made a
configurable version at some point:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/framework/impl/src/java/com/leosimons/jicarilla/framework/Attic/ConfigurableAsyncProxy.java?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.3

its not difficult to imagine a container plugin that sets up these
proxies based on, for example, an "async this" attribute. I even got
halfway to doing just that with commons-sandbox-attributes & pico...

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/jicarilla/jicarilla-sandbox/platform/framework/api/src/java/jicarilla/attributes/Attic/Asyncable.java?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.1

...its also possible to do this with an AOP framework. I think I did
something like this using AspectWerkz, but I don't think I ever saved it
anywhere.

But it starts getting close to a magic fountain real quick :D

XMLRPC, SOAP, etc, all those are also rather general ways of handling
event<->method call transformations. I don't like most of em :D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons