avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Timothy Bennett <exterminat...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Idealization was: Yet another IoC Article
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2004 00:22:33 GMT
hammett wrote:
> [...]

Didn't mean to imply that it is a simple task to migrate all containers
to a common meta model, and I apologize, Paul, if my comments seemed to
over-simply that.  I suspect that the reason it hasn't happened yet is
indeed because it is a daunting task, and everybody has better things to
do than tackle that job.  Your point is well received.

Yet, it still remains a reality that none of the containers developed
within the community so far use the same meta model, and that's a
barrier to component reuse, whether or not an easy and smooth way exists
to migrate all containers to a common model.  When a spec comes after
some systems have already been built, it is always much easier to build
new systems on top of the spec, than to bring the legacy systems up to
snuff.

The reality is that Fortress and Phoenix meta-model adaptor plug-ins for
Merlin are probably more realistic than re-factoring Fortress and
Phoenix to incorportate avalon-meta.  If this is the case, then see my
response below..

>>Abominable and embarrassing.  We need to our house in order IMO before
>>taking on component interoperability outside of avalon.
>

> Nope, we don't.
>
> <opnion>
> If Merlin's future is a really decoupled infrastructure, then we'll end up
> with a tiny and easy container with a lot of pluggable facilities. If this
> day arrive we - at avalon - won't need another container.
> </opnion>

If that opinion of Merlin holds true, and there is no uniform consensus
to migrate all containers to a common meta model, then why don't we just
put a roadmap in place to sunset the legacy containers, and as a
community stop encouraging new avalon component developers to use these
legacy containers and build/port components against their meta-models?