avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <leosim...@apache.org>
Subject No Vetoes? (was: Re: [VOTE] RE: MutableConfiguration)
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:48:30 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> IMHO,
> a. It is unclear when "consensus is required".

preferably, always. If consensus cannot be reached, consensus should be
reached on how to proceed. If consensus is not reached quite often on
some kinds of issues, consensus can be reached on deviation from the
basic consensus rule (ie, as we did with the Avalon PMC voting guidelines).

> b. I like democratic rules better.

I don't. Striving for consensus reduces the importance of voting. We can
have something like "lazy consensus", but "lazy democracy" doesn't work
too well (Re: the USA).

Anyway, if we want we can change rules, add them, remove them, whatever.
But my preferred alternative is to just not debate small issues at
length and apply meritocracy and lazy consensus principles (ie we
recognize a particular issue is not worth three weeks of discussion so
we just move forward and get out of the way of the people doing the work).

Put yet another way: if an issue is not important enough to want to
achieve consensus, its not important enough to hold a vote :D

----

Leo Sutic wrote: "Raise the issue on the PMC mailing list"

nah, let's keep the conversation public :D

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons