avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: ant instead of maven (was: Re: Versioning scheme)
Date Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:00:30 GMT
Stephen McConnell wrote:

> Its not that. The real issue is that maven is moving
> underneath your feet.  Do a build today - go away for a
> holiday - come back - redo the build and guess what - don't
> be too surprised it the result is different. BTW the only
> download is the maven plugin.
>
> Apparently RC2 is a couple of weeks away.  I'm going to give
> that a shot but if I seem the same sort of inconsistencies -
> well, I'm going to spending a lot more time looking into ant
> documentation.

We are using Maven for months without any problems. But you really
should stick to the "rules" Maven implies. If you start building
your own build system on top, then you're obviously doing something
wrong and should better use Ant.

Now, I don't see any need for a different build system than Maven
here at Avalon. If the current system would be stripped down
and simple use all available things from Maven without extending
here and there, then I bet it will build everything Avalon needs
without any problems.

We all know how painfull the old Ant system was and how long it
took until it worked and we all know how long the move to Maven
took. So switching back to Ant is imho the wrong way. Simplify
the current build system and throw away all Avalon specific goals.

Carsten