avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Anton Tagunov" <atagu...@list.ru>
Subject Re[2]: MutableConfiguration Proposal Summary -- optimize for memory consumption?
Date Fri, 06 Feb 2004 17:07:08 GMT
Hi, Leo!

Really like it to talk fast :)

AT> * the main use case is to allow different storage
AT>   structures behind MutableConfiguration
AT>
AT>   right?

LSU> No. The purpose is to allow an application to code against an
LSU> interface (MutableConfiguration) instead of against a concrete
LSU> class (DefaultConfiguration).

But why do we want it?

MutableConfiguration impl is *only* about *storing* data.
So, why abstract it?
Only to allow different storage strategies.

Right?

LSU> The deep-copy is done when you absolutely, positively
LSU> have to ensure that a configuration is immutable.

Right. I like the approach. The class is useful.

But should we really apply this patter *always*?
Should we engrave it in Avalon spi?
Have there been any concerns on Merlin footprint?

Anton